Alicia has an insight about not taking things personally. Luckily, she already has examples in her life where she feels immune to what Mateo says to her, and seeing that she doesn’t always take what he says personally allows her to see her own role in her reactivity. Rohini helps guide Alicia toward the truth of where her experience is always coming from, that we can only ever feel our own thinking, not circumstances. Together they explore how not being impacted by someone else’s behavior is empowering, not passive.
This episode explores:
- The personal vs. the impersonal
- The power of not taking things personally
- How feelings act as a guide to our state of mind at any moment
- Behavior is a reflection of the other person’s state of mind, which has nothing to do with us
- Gaining compassion for our partner when they’re in a low mood
- The way to decrease volatility in relationships
- Connecting with our own inner peace regardless of our partner
- We experience what we are identifying with in our own mind, not circumstances
- Understanding our experiences come from within is liberating
- Emotions move through us like the weather, we can wait until we feel more settled to act
Podcast music: Rewilding Love features the music of RhythmPharm with Los Angeles based Master drummer, multi-instrumentalist and composer Greg Ellis, born and raised in the Bay Area. These 100% organic soundscapes are designed to tune, invigorate, calm, balance, nourish, activate and clarify one’s mind, body and soul. RhythmPharm helps one to Listen Differently.
Ep. 4 includes selections from: Violet/Balance; Blue/Calm; Orange/Nourishment; Yellow/Clarity.
Cad and a bounder: Old fashioned, British phrase for saying a man is acting in an unkind, deceitful, or selfish way.
North American irony: Angus questions whether this exists.
Angus & Rohini Ross are “The Rewilders.” Listen to their podcast Rewilding Love. They believe too many good relationships fall apart because couples give up thinking their relationship problems can’t be solved. Many couples don’t know how to navigate low moods, conflict, and emotional reactivity. In this season of the Rewilding Love Podcast, Rohini and Angus help a couple on the brink of divorce due to conflict. Angus and Rohini love working with couples and helping them to reduce conflict and discord in their relationships by pointing them to their innate wisdom and wellbeing. They work with couples who are struggling and couples who would like to deepen the love and intimacy they already have. They co-facilitate private couples' intensives that rewild relationships back to their natural state of love.